This type of scam is all over Social Media.
Everyone on social media seems to be doing a giveaway off their own.
Every influencer, brand, gym, and even government agencies use social media platform for giveaway.
All these giveaways are very much legitimate and a good way for these people/organizations to get a good following on their social media and connect with their audience.
However scammers are also using these giveaways trend to their advantage and finding their own way of using these giveaway’s to scam people. Although there are legitimate giveaways on social media please do watch out for scams.
Here are some tips to watch out for:
- Watch out for giveaways on Facebook which are not directly endorsed by any celebrity/athletes own personal account but scammers use their image/video to promote this giveaway.
- Watch out for FAKE brand Pages on Instagram and Facebook. The page will mimic itself to be of a famous brand and will have very less followers. It’s an easy way to tell the page is fake and not associated with the real brand/company.
- Often big brands will also have a link or more detail about these giveaways on their website so also check them out to re-assure it’s a genuine post on social media.
- Some giveaways where you are requested to provide a contribution to shipping or other charges and are requested credit card details can be a sign of a scam so be skeptical and do your due diligence.
- Giveaways that require you to sign up to a quiz where a phone text message is used where you incur premium charge by your telephone network can also be a sign of a scam.
In general, if the giveaway is not from an established brand or person on social media be cautious and just spend an extra minute or two going through all details. These extra minutes could be a difference between you getting scammed.