Current Date:August 10, 2022

Where To Get Help

If you've lost money to a scam or given out your personal details to a scammer, you're unlikely to get your money back. However there are steps you can take straight away to limit the damage and protect yourself from further loss. You should also warn your friends and family about scams. If you’re a business, let your industry association and other contacts know about the scam.


Contact your financial institution

If you've sent money or shared your banking details with a scammer, contact your financial institution immediately. They may be able to stop a transaction, or close your account if the scammer has your account details. Your credit card provider may be able to perform a 'charge back' (reverse the transaction) if your credit card was billed fraudulently.

If you're not sure if you're being scammed, stop sending money. Scammers will keep asking for more money until you stop.

Recover your stolen identity

If you suspect you are a victim of identity theft, it is important that you act quickly to reduce your risk of financial loss or other damages.

You can:

  • Contact iDcare - a free government-funded service which will work with you to develop a specific response plan to your situation and support you through the process. Visit the iDcare website or call 0800 201 415
  • Contact Department of internal Affairs (DIA) and they will guide you through a proper channel.

Report scams to the authorities

We encourage you to report scams to us via the report a scam webpage.

You can also report a scam to the appropriate agency to help them warn the community about scams and take action to disrupt scams. In case of financial scams it is always advised to contact your financial institution first and than the police. Also if the scam is identity related and you fear your personal information or data has been compromised you can contact Department of internal affairs.

Change your online passwords

If you think your computer or device has been hacked or infected with malware or ransomware, use your security software to run a virus check if you think your computer has been compromised.

If you think one of your online accounts (e.g. your bank account, email, online shopping account or social networking site) has been compromised, you should change your password immediately. Most reputable websites provide step-by-step instructions for how you can recover a hacked account.

Contact consumer protection agency

Here is New Zealand, we have the following consumer protection agencies that you can contact to seek further help: